Thursday, December 30, 2010

Prayer of the Penitent


Lord, behold one before you deserving of death,
a wretched, sinful man.
No right have I to stand before you,
I, who have transgressed your laws.

Behold, oh Lord, I stand before you guilty.
My hands are stained with blood,
blood guilt lies upon my soul.
I have no defense, for the charges against me are true.

No recompense could I offer for my misdeeds.
There is no earthly sum great enough for my sins.
They have drowned me in a sea of agony,
and choked me in black despair.

I weep when I consider what I have done,
how your once faithful servant has failed you.
Truly for my deeds I deserve death
and you, my King, would be just in condemning me.

Yet my deeds will not end in tears or death,
my debt has already been paid, and God forgives.
He forgoes his great and just wrath for his name's sake,
for the sake of his Son who paid my debt.

Because of your sacrifice I find hope in despair.
I cast myself before you, that you might take me back.
Instill in me a spirit of resolve and love,
that I might serve you with loyal heart and soul.

May my tears oh God turn me to you.
In my despair and sorrow may I reach out in hope to your love.
I fall before you a sinner, seeking your forgiveness.
Let me once again sing joyfully in your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment