Monday, July 12, 2010

Silent Shades

inspired by many a silent, otherworldly trip on the Metro

I saw a man
-at least, I think he was a man.
I thought my hand would pass through him like mist,
so unreal he seemed
as he hurried by me.

A woman too I saw
-at least, I think. I can't be sure.
With eyes unseeing she sat upon her seat.
An ethereal being
who shared the air with me.

Dozens, hundreds more I saw
-or did I? I truly think I did.
Compressed together in coffin cold, not speaking.
With inward looking eyes,
withdrawn into themselves.

The shades stood silent
-or were they real? I couldn't tell.
If real, then surely they would speak in love.
But they didn't.
Their companions they ignored.

The people stood aloof
-people? Perhaps, but if so, then only part.
Though close, so distant, contained within themselves.
Such tiny worlds,
a sight that breaks the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment