Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Soul Divided

This is from when our Student Ministry Team was preparing for the upcoming semester and I felt too small for the task.

The Spirit of Man

The dark descends devouring, a dark flame devouring.
Lord, how weak I am!
Like new born babe, beset by fears,
my spirit weak and trembling.

Cold the hearth of my soul, the flame of my spirit.
All now is ash within me.
What can you ask of one so weak?
What possible service can I render?

Does a child undertake hard labor?
How then can I do your will?
For in your eyes I am but a child,
and you ways are far beyond my own.

My own fears consume me,
beset on every side by terrors.
The horrors of my mind and soul confront me.
I am paralyzed by fear, a thousand spears,
held by enemies who seek my life in bloodlust.

What might I accomplish against such odds,
a man so weak as I?
How can I cross a desert so wide,
or scale this indomitable mountain?

My weakness invades my limbs.
Like a man infirm I tremble.
How can I succeed in such a task?
This quest is too much for me.

The Spirit of the Lord

But lo! What is this unconquered core?
This steady iron within, a firm foundation.
Though all is ash, embers live,
and catch at breath of air.

The Lord says unto me:
Who else is there to send?
You are my hands, my voice,
if you will not do this task, then who?

How could I not be with you?
I, who have given you every good thing?
Is it possible that I could leave you?
No, I shall never leave your side.

When the Lord speaks, I take courage.
I see now what must be done.
For if not me, then who?
Who will rise in answer to God’s call?

Therefore, I will put on buckler and shield.
With girded sword I shall take courage, be a man.
the fearsome, vile foes I will confront.
With the Lord in my right arm
I’ll strike them down.

Though fears dwell within and still beset me.
I laugh at fear, I scorn it.
For with God in me I’ll do all things,
with God, my core of steel.

Take up arms in face of fear and serve the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment